Contemplation

Monday, March 22, 2010

Samuel's Sunrise

Last fall I sent a birthday card to a young friend who was celebrating the end of his 13th year. Sam sent me a thank you note along with a picture showing him standing on a knoll overlooking a vineyard. His back is to the camera. The sky is autumn orange and red, shafts of the just-rising sun pierce a few errant clouds. Sam’s young body is straight and stalwart, watching.

He wrote “…I got to see the sun rise on my birthday.” His comment and the photo inspired this poem:

He’s on the hillside of the vineyard
His back to me,
to the rest of the world
aware, calm, a fire within

The sun is rising golden
He’s facing that sun
Watching a miracle rising
Just for him

Just for this day
He’s 13 years old today
he’s facing life
thirteen is rising and risking

No comments:

Post a Comment